Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Disney How To



I am by no means a Disney expert. I just thought I would share our experience and perhaps save you some trouble or give you some helpful tips. When planning our trip I knew I wanted the whole "Dreams Come True" experience for my kids. This trip was all about them. We did 4 parks in 4 days. This was possible because I have been to Disney and we did not even approach the rides that they couldn't ride.
Here are some things to do before you go:
Order your free customized Disney maps. This is a great keepsake and the kids loved getting them in the mail.  free disney maps
Start a countdown.
The kids loved tearing a day off each morning and got more excited as the chain got smaller.

I also wanted shirts for each day. It isn't necessary but it did make packing and deciding what to wear each day really easy.

Buy light up toys before leaving! This is a big one. There are always exciting things to do in the parks a night. There are also expensive light-upo and glow in the dark toys on every corner. You can purchase these items at home and take them in the park with you. I bought most of ours at the Dollar Tree and Target.

 I also packed "prizes" for the boys to wake to each morning that were from Mickey. These were also items that I found at the dollar store or Target. I put them in bags for each day. Each bag also contained Mickey snacks that we could take to the park each day. This helped cut down on buying expensive Mickey snacks in the park.

Now that we've talked about what to do before, here are some tips for while you're there.
Let me start by saying we used a travel agent. Here is a link to her page, Macy's Travel . Travel agents are free and have inside information. There is no downside to using a travel agent. I told our travel agent what characters were the boy's favorites and she planned our meals according to that. We loved all of our meals and I highly recommend the dining plan. It is well worth it. You get your money's worth of food and there are plenty of options in every park. Our favorite place to eat was Ohana's. This was not a character dinner but the kids still loved it. The food and atmosphere were amazing. We stayed on property at the Port Orleans Resort. I recommend staying on property, but next time I plan to stay closer to the Magic Kingdom. The bus rides back and forth were long, especially if we had to transfer to another bus or a monorail. We had to leave at least an hour before meal reservations in order to get there on time. I also recommend park hopper passes. These allow you to go in and out of park as many times as you want and to go back and forth between parks. This is very convenient for people traveling with small children that can't spend 15 hours in a park. Make sure you also visit Downtown Disney. It is an experience in itself. Also, something to think about. We had a horrible experience with losing our keys on the 2nd day of our trip. We didn't need our keys immediately so we had someone overnight a spare but you would be in a lot of trouble if you did need your keys. I recommend carrying a spare and leaving it in your hotel room instead of carrying in a park and having a spare at home someone can send you. The most important thing is getting to the park early. That is one plus to staying on-property. You should always take advantage of Extra Magic Hours that are available to those staying on-property. As soon as you get in the park have a member of your party go straight to the most popular ride and get fast passes. Fast passes are tickets that allow you to return to the ride at certain time and skip the line. The best rides will run out of fast passes as early as 10am. As soon as your fast pass says you can get another fast pass, do! It saves you loads of time standing in line. We had  great time in all of the parks but of course Magic Kingdom is the best. There isn't that much for young kids at Epcot, but there are things for them to enjoy. I am a planner so I recommend having a game plan. We knew what park we were going to each day, what time the shows inside that park were, and what time all fireworks shows and parades were in that park. Don't overlook the shows. The live shows are the best part in my opinion. The kids were enthralled, especially with The Lion King show. Don't miss parades or fireworks. They are all awesome!
There is no way to cover everything in one blog but I hope I was able to provide some useful info. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment