Monday, July 30, 2012

USA! USA! USA!

I LOVE the Olympics! Especially the summer Olympics. I have seriously watched at least 100 hours of coverage in two days. My favorites are swimming and gymnastics. I've also enjoyed shooting, archery, men's and women's volleyball, men's and women's beach volleyball, diving, men's and women's basketball, rowing, water polo, and a million other sports I can't think of. I love the patriotism that comes with the Olympics. It has provided us with great learning opportunities for our kids. I've enjoyed teaching them about patriotism and hard work.
Last night I was watched the women's gymnastics team qualifying round. It always fascinates me how these athletes compete against each other, but also as a team. It was a sad moment when the lifelong dreams of individual all around for Jordan Weiber were crushed by her teammate Aly Raisman. The score popped up and one girl was jumping for joy and one was devastated. All caught on national t.v. As the cameras interviewed an excited Raisman a tearful Weiber stood in the background. I realize this a part of life, but geez, these girls have been trainging for this since birth and they only get one chance. It just doesn't seem fair that only two athletes from each team get to go, even if their scores are higher than the athletes from the other teams. I think is it weird, but awesome that these athletes can go from competing so hard with each other, to working together. I watched Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte vigorously compete against each other Saturday night and then swim the relay together Sunday night. That relay was an awesome race that had me screaming at the t.v.
I plan to use this time to teach my kids about hard work and dedication. We will be cheering on Team USA everyday!
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1276946-womens-gymnastics-olympic-qualifications-2012-wieber-out-but-rule-is-unfair

No comments:

Post a Comment